There have been Morloks in Mitteltal for eleven generations. Proof of their existence has been documented in church books since 1610. Originally housed in the Ödenhof, Johann Georg Morlok built the farmhouse on the outskirts of Mitteltal in 1789 and lived, like his ancestors, as a farmer. But at the same time he was, like his ancestors and later his successors, a faith healer. They “found” lost cattle that had wandered off, or objects that had been mislaid, and they could cure illnesses by the laying of hands or the production of tinctures and mixtures.
During restoration of the Morlokhof, workers made a sensational find: more than 130 handwritten drawings, letters and pages from printed medical books. It turned out that at least four, perhaps even six, different Morloks had gathered the available knowledge since the early 18th century and thus made it available to the following generations. Some of the drawings are in Latin or Hebrew and evoke numerous Catholic saints – unusual for Protestant Mitteltal. There were also tinctures in small vials and the corresponding formulations.
The last of the Morloks, Friedrich Morlok, died in a Russian prisoner-of-war camp in 1945. Hermann Bareiss bought the Morlokhof in 2003.